CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rory's Purpose

Rory rolled over onto his back and stared up into the sky. It was a beautiful summer day and the fluffy white clouds tumbling across the brilliant blue sky were simply mesmerizing to him. The sun was warm on Rory’s tummy and all was good within his world.

Rory’s peaceful respite was interrupted as his brothers and sisters came tearing down the hill. Mama was right behind them, trying to keep up. Rory scrambled to his feet to avoid being plummeted by the thirty-two feet that belonged to his 3 brothers and 5 sisters, his belly narrowly escaping Toby’s fat front paw.

“Slow down children!” Mama yelled from behind. “Y’all just about ran over your brother. What’s the hurry?”

“It’s time for lunch, Mama,” Sadie answered her mother, “and Mr. Sam will be putting the food out soon.”

“All right,” Mama said, “you young ‘uns run on down to the shed and wait for Mr. Sam. I need to talk to Rory alone. We’ll be along in a bit.”

As his brothers and sisters hurried off to the shed, Rory looked up at Mama, puzzled. “I’m hungry,” Rory said. “Why can’t I go – am I in trouble?”

Mama laughed gently, “No, Rory. I just need to talk to you about something very important. Tomorrow is going to be a big day for you.” Mama’s face was suddenly very serious. She looked sad.

“What’s wrong, Mama?”

“Rory, tomorrow you will be starting a brand new life. It will be exciting and fun, but it will be a lot of hard work,” Mama said tenderly.

“What about Sadie and Toby and the others? Do they have to start a new life that’s a lot of hard work too?” Rory jumped in, indignant that he might be the only one doing any work.

“Let me explain, Rory,” Mama went on. “Tomorrow, a lady named Miss Ellen is going to be coming to take you to your new home.”

“No, Mama!” Rory interrupted. “I don’t want to go to a new home. I want to stay here with you!”

“Just listen, Rory,” Mama said softly. “You have an important job to do and I need for you to be a brave pup and try to understand what I’m going to tell you. Look around you, Rory. What do you see?”

Rory glanced around the yard. “I see trees, grass and the lake. I see you, Mama.” Rory’s eyes suddenly filled with tears. “I don’t want to leave you Mama.”

“I know, Rory. But you were born with a very important purpose. One that only a smart, brave pup such as yourself can fulfill. I asked you to look around you for a reason, Rory, because what you see is going to be very important in your new job.”

“What will I be doing?” Rory asked.

“Miss Ellen will be taking you to a special school where you will learn how to do your important job,” Mama told him.

Rory was puzzled. “Why do they need me?”

“Remember when you were laying here on your back before your brothers and sisters nearly pounded you?” Mama asked, laughing gently. “What were you doing before the commotion started?”

“I was looking up at the blue sky and watching the clouds float by. It’s pretty, Mama.”

“Yes it is, Rory. But did you know that there are people who can’t see the sky, the clouds, or even their own Mama?”

“Oh, no!” Rory exclaimed, “That would be just awful!”

“And not only can they not see the beautiful things that God created, it's dangerous for them when they go out because they could be hurt. They need help crossing the street, going to the park and going to school or work.”

“That’s scary! But I still don’t understand what this has to do with me. I still want to stay with you Mama. You need me!”

“That’s true, son. But there’s a little girl named Kellie who needs you more than I do. She needs my brave son Rory to be her eyes so that she can be safe and grow up to be a fine young woman. I need you to trust me Rory – it will be a wonderful life for you, and Kellie will love you just as much as I do.”

“I trust you Mama,” Rory said bravely. “And I will be the best eyes for Kellie. I will keep her safe, and I will make you proud.”

0 comments: